Let us speak of guides.
You may have in front of you this Lent a familiar name, or a new guide. Here are a few examples appropriate to this journey from winter to spring, seeking signs of life:
1) Cheri L. Mills, Lent of Liberation: Confronting the Legacy of American Slavery. Louisville, KY: Westminister John Knox Press, 2021.
40 devotionals written dedicated so the martyrdom of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd not be in vain, so that justice may come to the American Descendants of Slavery.
2) Justin McRoberts & Scott Erickson, Prayer: Forty Days of Practice. Colorado Springs, CO: WaterBrook, 2019.
A balance to word and image in the text supporting and aiding both contemplation and meditation.
3) Joan Chittister, 40-Day Journey with Joan Chittister. edited by Beverly Lanzetta. Minneapolis, MN: Augsburg Books, 2007.
4) Henri J.M. Nouwen. Lent and Easter Wisdom from Henri J.M. Nouwen: Daily Scripture and Prayers Together With Nouwen's Own Words. Compiled by Judy Bauer. Liguori, MI: Liguori, 2005.
5) Ignatius of Loyola. Lent and Easter Wisdom from Saint Ignatius of Loyola: Daily Scripture and Prayers Together With Saint Ignatius' Own Words. Compiled by James L. Connor, SJ. Liguori, MI: Liguori, 2009.